Can dogs eat watermelon | It is safe for your dog

can dogs eat watermelonCan dogs eat watermelon? Let’s be clear. Summer, among other things, means watermelon. If you have a dog and want to feed it with human foods, you may wonder if can dogs eat watermelon.

This fruit is very fresh and tasty for men, but is it possible to say the same for dogs? Is it advisable for the dog to take it? And in what measure? Can dogs eat watermelon? Can I give the watermelon to the dog? The answer in this case is YES.

Dogs can eat watermelon, but taking steps to prevent the dog from getting sick. Your dog will only be able to eat this fruit after remove skin and seeds. Both can cause tooth and gastrointestinal problems.

Positive effects

Watermelon has several positive effects. This fruit is rich in vitamin A (to increase the strength and shine of the hair), vitamin B 6 and C (which strengthen the immune system) and finally potassium. Moreover, the watermelon, due to its high percentage of water, has very few calories, about 50.

The watermelon contains more than 90% of water and the remaining 10% is sugar, and for this reason it is not advisable to abuse it. It is also an infinite source of beta-carotene that improves your dog’s vision.

Negative effects

The abuse of watermelon can cause some negative effects. However, the abuse of food is bad, and watermelon is not excluded. If your dog eats a lot of watermelon, it is possible to see a high blood sugar level , with the risk that your dog could become a diabetic dog.

In addition, some diarrhoea discharges can occur due to the excessive amount of water absorbed through this delicious fruit. If these symptoms occur and diarrhoea does not stop within 24 hours, you should consult your vet.

The diabetic dog should not eat so much fruit, including watermelon, because as mentioned, natural sugars can raise blood sugar levels. Finally, because of its amount of water, if a dog eat a lot of watermelon could pee in large quantities.

How to recognize a good watermelon

To recognize a good watermelon it is necessary to see the peel. Striations must be wide and the skin well pulled. By touching the skin with your knuckles you can see if the watermelon is good through the sound it makes. The sound of a good watermelon is a clear sound.

Ultimately, dogs can eat watermelon, but important is not to overdo it. The recommended doses are about 1-2 pieces for small dogs and 2-3 for medium and large dogs. However, always try to listen the advice of your vet who can recommend you on the best quantities based on your dog’s health and size.

Conclusion

Fortunately, watermelons is safe for dogs. However, the skin and seeds not. You should always remove them before you give to your dog. If you do, watermelon is very useful. In addition to making the immune system better and the coat shinier, watermelon is a great place to rest on hot days.

It is also made of natural sugars, so it can be an excellent alternative treatment for dogs who should not consume foods with processed sugar. Occasionally serve the watermelon clean from the crust and seeds and your dog will enjoy this refreshing fruit with you!

You Also May Like: Can dogs eat sweet potatoes